Tuesday, September 3, 2013

It's an ocean.


"It's not a lake, It's an ocean."
-Alan Wake

I open with that quote from the end of the game, for a reason. Alan is floating in a lake, fueled by nightmares, and in his insanity, he utters those words.

I too, float in an ocean of nightmares, but I'm not unlike anyone else, we all dream, and we all see our fears in our dreams, it's something we share, across all nations, races, and religions, we all dream. It's the most human thing we can do.

Strange to think, that we all are most alike, when we aren't even conscious.

I won't pretend to understand all peoples dreams, but I'd like to talk about my dreams.

I had a dream rather recently, that sticks with me. I watched a little girl die at my feet, and I knew that I loved this girl, but I didn't know why. I knew that she didn't die because of me, but that I could have stopped it. I cried, and awoke in tears, despite not knowing who she was.

Dreaming is humane, we all do it, it's common behavior of our race, but why is it, that I cry over the death of someone I don't know? Is it perhaps due to the bonds we shared as fellow humans, and that, in my state of dreaming, I cared for this girl, simply due to our ties of humanity? Under all our skins, black and white, of the western hemisphere, or of the middle east, do we all want to be at peace, to share those bonds of humanity with each other?

What makes you feel human? Any interesting dreams? I'm always willing to listen to others dreams, it gives you a cryptic sense of a person's true personality. Leave a comment!

3 comments:

  1. Dreams, in my opinion, open the gateway to see into what is on our mind, whether it is the most prevalent and important thing, or something as abstract as the colors of a setting sky sleeping on clouds.
    I honestly don't remember all my dreams, but they give me something fun to think about, or even terrifying. I once dreamt of a girl who I had a hard time getting along with, although we were friends at that current moment. It was. . . devastating.
    Good post, can't wait for more. Oh! Here's a song that I think may fit (Viewer's discretion advised!!!) It's like my dreams. . .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFYLqDqNC_I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. Not like anyone's I've read. I love how you analyzed the reason for your emotional response to the dream.
    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Strange to think, that we all are most alike, when we aren't even conscious."

    Great line. I don't think I've ever heard anything like it.

    ReplyDelete